Counseling services at the Western Academy of Beijing promote personal well-being, healthy relationships and the successful balance of academic, extracurricular and community involvement for WAB students. Our counselors offer guidance in all aspects of school life, from the first day of class to preparing for graduation and applying to universities.
Often one of the first staff members new students meet, our experienced, caring counselors assist with initial placement through review of academic records and help develop a suitable study program.
Students may also receive assistance from a counselor in dealing with a wide a range of personal, academic and social issues common to their age group.
Typical issues may involve:
- Social relationships
- Emotional well-being
- Time management
- Transitioning from Elementary to Middle to High School to university
- University counseling
- Academic planning and decision making
- Post High School planning
- Problem solving and life skills development
- Crisis intervention
In Grade 11, the formal University Counseling Program begins and continues throughout Grade 12. The focus is on providing information on university/career awareness and assistance in researching options and preparing applications for future educational choices.
Meet Our Counselors
The transition from High School to university and beyond is an exciting and important time for our students, their families and our staff.
The Western Academy of Beijing is committed to supporting our High School students not only to make that transition, but to enter the world with confidence and success. Our counselors offer guidance in all aspects of preparing for life after graduation.
We involve parents every step of the way and help students individually to make informed decisions and discover what university or college is right for them. Guidance is given in all aspects of the application process, from writing stand-out essays to understanding admission and financial aid processes.
Yale is a lot like WAB, because they both offer the freedom to explore and pursue your passions. The only difference is that WAB is home.
University Counseling Services
WAB gave me the skills I need for higher education. I definitely would not be where I am today without WAB.
University Application Assistance
WAB offers a wide range of resources and a comprehensive program to assist students and their families with university planning. The counseling department has a large selection of international reference guides, university catalogues, and admissions testing materials.
Counselors will also take initiative in assisting students with university searches and applications. A detailed WAB University Handbook is available in the Counseling Center and online to support students and families through this important process.
World of Work Program
The World of Work program offers students in the High School work experience opportunities, developing life skills, and preparing to make informed choices about their future learning.
Every High School student at some stage will have the opportunity to participate, ensuring that WAB is equipping students with the skills and knowledge needed to meet the demands of the 21st century.
WAB welcomes visitors from universities around the world, and hosts several university tours throughout the year. Parents and students are strongly encouraged to attend these presentations.
This half-day High School event serves to broaden our students’ horizons and deepen their understanding of a variety of professions.
Past WAB Career Fair panelists include professionals from:
- Architecture/Arts & Design based creative industries
- Engineering/Research & Development
- Entrepreneurship (starting your own business)/NGOs
- Government/Diplomatic Affairs
- Hospitality/Customer Relations
- Marketing/Public Relations (PR)
- Performing Arts/Dance/Music/Theater
Information for University Admission Representatives
Western Academy of Beijing (WAB) is a leading non-profit, independent IB World School. Founded in 1994, WAB prides itself on innovative and highly qualified teachers, world-class facilities, diverse community, warm and supportive environment and service-oriented culture. Students from over 50 countries are the focus of WAB’s learner-centered atmosphere, and are encouraged to take their place as responsible citizens of the world.
Both the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the IB Diploma Programme (IBDP) are offered in the High School. In addition, every graduate earns an accredited Western Academy of Beijing High School Diploma.
Accreditations and Memberships
- Learn more about our High School: WAB High School Profile - 2016/17 (PDF).
- See which universities our seniors are being accepted to: WAB Class of 2017 (PDF).
- Bilingual directions to the WAB High School campus are available here.
- WAB students excel in academics and become life-long learners.
- WAB teachers are internationally experienced educators.
- Our campus is colorful and dynamic, designed to enhance the WAB learning experience.
- WAB supports an extensive extracurricular program for all students to explore their passions.
- WAB's warm and supportive community will make your family feel at home.
- WAB is an innovative community of learners.
- WAB exposes students to new, influential ideas.
- Learning extends far beyond the classroom walls.
- WAB engages & serves its community both locally and globally.
- WAB's connections extend around the world.
- … And you know exactly what you're paying for.