The Western Academy of Beijing is an independent non-profit international school that is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Trustees.
WAB is governed by a board of trustees, guided by the best interests of students, teachers and staff.
The Board of Trustees is made up of a mix of board-appointed and community-elected members. No one nationality may represent more than 50% of voting Board membership.
Trustees are tasked with ensuring the school's smooth administration within the guidelines of its constitution, which are based on principles set down by our founders in 1994. The Board maintains and nurtures the collaborative and supportive culture of WAB, a core attribute of the school.
This includes hiring and overseeing the work of the School Director, planning for future development and ensuring the school's financial stability.
WAB Board of Trustees 2017-18 members:
- Tina Dige Kjaergaard (Chair)
- Elco Schwartz (Vice Chair)
- Frank Marinaro (Treasurer)
- Michael Crook (School Founder and Legal Representative)
- Nathalie Azzopardi
- Elaine Au
- Jean Zhang
- Laurent Fischler
- Courtney Lowe (Ex-Officio WAB Board Member, WAB Director)
- Paul Balthazor (Ex-Officio: Teaching Staff Representative)
- Kun Jiao (Ex-Officio: Non-Teaching Staff Representative)
The Board of Trustees is tasked with governing WAB for the long-term, sustained realization of the vision of our school. At WAB, we do this in a spirit of partnership, with full participation by the Director and representatives of the teaching and support staff. We support the Director in his leadership of school operations, and work to ensure that the WAB we love continues to thrive as a vibrant and excellent place for children to learn and grow.
- WAB students excel in academics and become life-long learners.
- WAB teachers are internationally experienced educators.
- Our campus is colorful and dynamic, designed to enhance the WAB learning experience.
- WAB supports an extensive extracurricular program for all students to explore their passions.
- WAB's warm and supportive community will make your family feel at home.
- WAB is an innovative community of learners.
- WAB exposes students to new, influential ideas.
- Learning extends far beyond the classroom walls.
- WAB engages & serves its community both locally and globally.
- WAB's connections extend around the world.
- … And you know exactly what you're paying for.