The Western Academy of Beijing strongly believes in caring for and respecting our environment. We realize that our future depends on protecting the health and well-being of our children and the planet.
Over the years, WAB has implemented multiple programs to make the school environment healthier for students and staff, while also reducing our ecological footprint.
Through these initiatives, we empower our students to be responsible global citizens and encourage the greater WAB community to get involved in finding solutions to the environmental problems we face together. On our campus and beyond, WAB is helping to make a difference.
Iconic Campus Duck Lake Clean-up Operations
In 2017, WAB celebrated the opening of Duck Lake's advanced on-site water filtration system, donated by Beijing OriginWater.
The ceremony was the culmination of efforts from the entire community and honored those who invested in the future of Duck Lake in a variety of ways. Launched at the WAB Gala in the fall of 2016, the Fund for Education and Environment of Duck Lake, or FEED, raised 480,000 RMB in fundraising efforts and 1.4 million RMB through donations from seven WAB families. Their legacy will forever be part of our campus on an engraved stone next to Duck Lake.
Learn more about WAB's Duck Lake clean-up operations here.
Other green initiatives on campus
Installed LED lights, motion-activated light switches and a green roof in the High School building.
Indoor Air Quality
Installed air purifiers throughout the school, and built a multi-sport air-supported structure (Tiger L'Air). Learn more about our Air Awareness:
Water and Outdoor Air Quality
Duck Lake, which was ‘adopted’ by WAB in 2006, is part of the Sun River and is nestled between the High School and Middle School campuses. The cleanup of the lake provides an educational focus for the school and contributes to the broader community.
Installed motion-activated water faucets in all school areas to help save water on our campus.
Green Generation Environmental Education Center
The Green Generation Environmental Education Center project was created by WAB in partnership with Bayer China and the Jane Goodall Institute China.
With their support, 'Duck Lake' was transformed into protected wetlands and an outdoor environmental education center for WAB students.
WAB is much more than a school; as students, we are much more than students; as an individual, I’m much more than an individual. I am myself, but WAB made me understand I have a role in my surrounding community.
- WAB students excel in academics and become life-long learners.
- WAB teachers are internationally experienced educators.
- Our campus is colorful and dynamic, designed to enhance the WAB learning experience.
- WAB supports an extensive extracurricular program for all students to explore their passions.
- WAB's warm and supportive community will make your family feel at home.
- WAB is an innovative community of learners.
- WAB exposes students to new, influential ideas.
- Learning extends far beyond the classroom walls.
- WAB engages & serves its community both locally and globally.
- WAB's connections extend around the world.
- … And you know exactly what you're paying for.