Our students are at the heart of all teaching and learning at the Western Academy of Beijing. WAB teachers are internationally experienced professionals committed to educating open-minded dreamers, critical thinkers and users of knowledge. As an IB World School, our highly motivated students acquire the skills and attitudes that meet the growing demands of an international 21st century.
Unlock Your Potential to Learn
WAB offers extensive, individualized student support services that are available to help each student reach his or her potential. Internships within WAB and comprehensive counseling are also available.
WAB's curriculum is supported by several of its own outstanding programs, including:
- Mother Tongue Languages
- Outdoor education with WAB Wild
- China-connected studies
- Events like our Distinguished Speaker Series, TEDx Youth, Global Issues Conferences and more
- Making a difference with service activities
- An incredible range of over 400 co-curricular sports, arts and clubs to experience with WABX
- Internships and career fairs to prepare High School students for life after graduation
FLoW21 is a community-wide, 5-year journey to transform our school experience to maximize learning for each individual student. Learn more about FLoW21 here.
Like no other school, WAB will know your child and customize the learning experience to best prepare him or her for a rapidly changing future.
What will FLoW21 look like?
- Increased student ownership of their learning
- Grounded in core subject knowledge
- Opportunities to apply learning through impactful service
- Timetables and assessments tailored to each student’s needs
- Students working in flexible learning communities
- More high-quality pathways to graduation
Every decision we make in FLoW21 is based on research, case studies from other schools, and best practices for learning in the 21st century.
WAB teachers hail from all across the globe. 27 nationalities are represented among our staff, 65% with 10 or more years of teaching experience and 6 years of average tenure. Our teachers all have at least a Bachelor's degree, and many hold a Master's or PhD - as well as a teaching certificate. They are highly professional, child-focused, warm, caring and supportive.
All WAB teachers are also certified for teaching the International Baccalaureate PYP/MYP/DP curriculums, and many have continued and developed their IB knowledge to now serve as trainers for others. Learn more about joining our teaching team.
I love watching the students develop as people - particularly the students who come to WAB with a few rough edges or a chip on the shoulder. The environment here is so positive and accepting that anyone and everyone somehow gets caught up in the general goodwill and comes out of their time at WAB more whole and healthy.
Brent Abrahams, Assistant High School Principal
Camille Sebban, Middle School French/Spanish Teacher
WAB represents over a quarter of my life! It's a great environment!
Andy Cole, Middle School Design Technology Teacher
WAB is a community where my children are growing up with an appreciation for their talents and individuality, where they are challenged and supported in their discovery of how the world works, and where they are inspired to make a positive difference.
- WAB students excel in academics and become life-long learners.
- WAB teachers are internationally experienced educators.
- Our campus is colorful and dynamic, designed to enhance the WAB learning experience.
- WAB supports an extensive extracurricular program for all students to explore their passions.
- WAB's warm and supportive community will make your family feel at home.
- WAB is an innovative community of learners.
- WAB exposes students to new, influential ideas.
- Learning extends far beyond the classroom walls.
- WAB engages & serves its community both locally and globally..
- WAB's connections extend around the world.
- … And you know exactly what you're paying for.